Consolidating school districts in michigan
As the population of Redford Township increased during the 19th Century, school districts were established to educate the children.
By 1859, there were ten districts serving the 36 square miles of the Township.
This effort led superintendents from the Churchill, Hile, Lincoln, Maple Grove, and Little Black Lake K-8 school districts to seek the advice and counsel of colleagues from the Michigan Department of Public Instruction and Michigan State University. As a result of this work, a Citizens Study Committee was formed.Four of the five K-8 districts accepted this recommendation.Little Black Lake was the sole school district to reject it and withdraw from the consolidation effort.9 decided to replace their existing wood frame schoolhouse–just as it had replaced an earlier log building.The old frame school in use in 1873 by District No.